Tuesday, August 07, 2012

High Capacity Magazines?

Glock 26 with 33 round
magazine. A mess. Not optimal.

The recent shootings in Colorado and Wisconsin show what carnage a person can cause with a legal weapon. But it's the person who does the deed that is the problem, not big magazines.

When I hear the liberal radio and TV folks calling for bans on extended magazines, I have to say they've got it wrong, and they really don't know much about this stuff. They're right about taxes, the ACA, etc., but not this. If you want to make these shootings we've had recently less lethal, outlaw normal magazines and make 33 round mags the only legal pistol mag.

Proof? Get a Glock 9mm pistol, any model. I have the sub-compact G26 for it's versatility, utterly perfect reliability, and concealability. Get a Glock 33 round magazine. That 33 round magazine will work with any Glock 9mm pistol. Load up. Go to the nearest Navy SEAL or other special forces base and ask them why they don't fight with a contraption like we've just assembled.

Because they don't - they use lots of different combat pistols, with normal 12-15 round mags. And the reason is that a pistol with a foot long magazine is an unbalanced, less accurate weapon than one with a proper magazine.


My kit. G26 with an extended 15 round free drop
magazine, 5 rounds more than the stock G26 magazine.
Balanced, accurate. That's as big as I go.
My guns are for home defense. With normal free-drop 10-15 round magazines I can eject an empty magazine, insert a fresh one and be shooting again in around 2-4 seconds. And I'll be getting more rounds on target in less time that I would be with that unbalanced rig with the 33 rounds. Want to loose a bunch of rounds in a hurry? Get a bunch of magazines, carry them or stash them all over your house.

So why does such a thing as a 33 round Glock 9mm magazine exist?

If you work for Austria's anti-terrorist unit  Einsatzkommando Cobra they could issue you the way-cool full auto Glock 18 machine pistol which will blow through those 33 rounds pretty fast. You probably don't work for them though.

Sub2K with 33 round 9mm mag

More likely, like me, you've decided that a Kel Tec Sub 2000 carbine is a good thing for home defense, and that 33 round 9mm mag is just exactly perfect in that weapon. I'd have this carbine just to stay standardized on Glock 9mm mags working in all the firearms in the house - any Glock mag I grab in the dark will go in this carbine. And it folds in half so it fits in your briefcase.

When I bought a pistol in Idaho, all I needed to get it right then was to show an Idaho driver's license. No background check, no nothing. Madness.

We need to thoroughly vet anyone buying any firearm, and keep people with mental problems and other issues from getting weapons. This is the real solution. Bickering over the hardware is just silly and pointless.




2 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you on a couple of points. A 33 round Glock mag in a G26 may seem silly and a bit unbalanced, but with practice and use it is easy to compensate for the difference in weight and balance.

    Also, your suggestion that it makes it harder to shoot and therefore better because it is less accurate is ridiculous. I realize you were trying to be somewhat facetious, but I would prefer anyone shooting to be more accurate rather than less accurate. Bad guys who use violence need to be met with force.

    The military would not issue 33 round magazines for pistols in most situations, not because they make a gun less accurate, or they are not useful. It has more to do with the fact that a soldier typically has a pistol or handgun as a backup sidearm (if he or she is issued one at all). Their primary weapon is usually a rifle, sub-machine gun, sniper rifle, machine gun, shotgun or other shoulder fired weapon. They carry more ammunition for their primary weapons than their pistols.

    If I had a choice in any gun fight I would want more firepower rather than less. This includes a primary rifle or shoulder fired weapon. It is not very practical to carry a sidearm with a long magazine, whether as a backup weapon or as an every day conceal carry weapon for self defense. However, if I was able to, and it really came to the SHTF and I had to fall back to my sidearm I would be more than happy to have a few very high capacity magazines as an option for a reload.

    That said, I would not choose to carry my Glock 19 with a 33 round magazine in it either. It simply is not practical for conceal carry (or even open carry really). I do carry it with a full 15 round factory magazine in the gun, and a backup 17 round Glock 17 magazine. 33 round magazines are a little overkill for CCW. I don't really even carry a second magazine for the extra ammunition, but rather in case my firearm has a malfunction. 99% of semi-auto malfunctions can be traced back to the magazine, so having a replacement mag is like having the ability to replace the mechanical part of the gun that is most likely to cause failure.

    I do however keep my Glock 19 loaded with a 33 round magazine in my night stand for home defense. I can shoot it just fine with the 33 round magazine, and I'd rather have more ammo than less.

    I guess my point is that the 33 round magazines do serve a purpose (as you've found it to be useful for your Sub2K). They can also serve a practical purpose in a pistol. We probably agree more than we disagree, and am not here to start an argument, I just felt that a few points you made in the blog article may not be entirely accurate. The 2nd amendment states "shall not be infringed". Any law that restricts a persons ability to arm themselves for self defense against criminals or the government is simply tyranny at its finest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete