Saturday, November 26, 2011

Oysters, Holidays

Waquoit Bay, Cape Cod, MA, USA
The Thanksgiving week ends, and I'm appropriately working on the Nutrition module in my athletic performance software. I had no idea how seriously pro sports teams take nutrition, but this whole development effort has been a big learning experience like they always are. I now know about calculating basal metabolic rate, and macro-nutrients, micro-nutrients, and converting kcal's to kjoules, and much more nutrition stuff. The work goes on.

I ate a lot of oysters as part of my Thanksgiving meal, and really good ones come from my hometown of Cotuit, Ma from these folks: http://www.cotuitoystercompany.com I don't know if they are part of a professional athlete's healthy and hypertrophic diet, but I know they're good.

Oysters
Back when I lived in Maryland, I would drive up to Cape Cod to see my parents, and once I mentioned to my Dad that Cheasapeake Bay oysters weren't very good. He took me down to Waquoit Bay, just a few niles west of Cotuit, where there was a man my Dad's age running a little oyster company, Mr. Kelly was his name. He kept his harvested oysters in milk crates hung off a float on the west side of the bay, and he'd tell me to go down and get as many as I needed. I'd pack them in a cooler and take them back to Maryland. He usually charged me five dollars for a cooler full of 100 or so oysters. I think he enjoyed visiting with my Dad enough that he gave me the oysters for cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment