Thursday, March 03, 2011

More Camera Talk

Working hard on my couch and expecting to become an internet millionaire any second now, it's time to consider my next real serious camera. My DMC-FX01 has been a great daily shooter, and will still probably ride in my pocket even when I get the next camera.

All Icelanders live in houses like these.

For me, it's all about lenses. At the end of the film era, I wanted one of these for the unsurpassable brilliance of the Carl Zeiss prime lenses. I still might get one and have to pay people to scan the perfect negatives these lenses produce. I know I hate scanning negs.

So get a DSLR you say? Yeah, but the last time I carried a full blown SLR kit on a trip was to Iceland, and it was a lot to lug around. Granted, it was blowing so hard most of the time and so cold that I just drove as close to whatever I wanted to shoot, jumped out of the car and banged away for 30 seconds and called it good, but what if I were to go somewhere like Monterey CA, like we are planning to do? I want to be foot mobile.

Monterey Bay from the Presideo
And I want prime lenses, like those Zeiss beauties. 

So, to get those prime lenses, small ones, and a small body to hang them on I'm thinking the Micro Four Thirds system is a good way. Why?

The Micro Four Thirds system Olympus and Panasonic for mirrorless interchangeable lens digital camerascamcorders[1] design and development, announced on August 5, 2008.[2] (MFT) is a standard created by and
MFT shares the image sensor size and specification with the Four Thirds system, designed for DSLRs. Unlike Four Thirds, MFT does not provide space for a mirror and a pentaprism, allowing smaller bodies to be designed, and a shorter flange focal distance and hence smaller lenses to be designed. Virtually any lenses can be used on MFT camera bodies using a right adapter. For instance, Four Third lens can be used with auto focus using the adapters designed by Olympus and Panasonic.

What's all that? Small bodies, big sensors, small lenses, and you can change lenses just like an SLR. But it's all small, so you can carry it around more easily.

 Hell, I can hang a Voightlander lens off of one of these bodies if I want, just like in the good old rangefinder days, back when I couldn't afford a rangefinder, and certainly not a Voightlander lens. Lots of lens choices, pocketability with a pancake lens, and lugability with the kit. Full manual control, and maybe depth of field again? I'm sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment