Saturday, February 26, 2011

Vichyssoise

This is one of the best cold soups ever. I've eaten it my whole life, mostly in restaurants. Never made it until recently though. I'm looking forward to spring and summer, and cold foods, so this comes to mind.

I've made vichyssoise a couple of times, both within the last year. It's turned out great, and this is the closest I've found to a recipe that produces the kind of soup I like this to be. I don't use the soured cream, and I swear to God before I make it again I am getting a boat motor to puree the stuff. It is an enormous pain to do it in batches, more than two thank you, in a food processor, when it's all just sitting there in the pot ready to be whizzed.

BTW, drain the potatoes before adding to the leek mixture.

This one look like an OK whizzer
The other thing I will do is poach a chicken before I make this again. A poached chicken is a delicious meal, even the white meat is good, and I'll have a ton of real chicken stock, which is so worth it for this recipe.

Make sure this soup is served ice cold.

Oddly, the best vichyssoise I've had in a restaurant in recent years was in Gettysburg at the Herr Tavern, where, when I asked our server where the fairly expensive single malt scotch I was drinking came from, went off to consult the bartender and returned to tell me it came from Scotland.



Herr Tavern











Vichyssoise

  • 2 cups finely diced raw potatoes
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 6 leeks, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces. bobp: I use 8 or more
  • 3 cups chicken bouillon: bob: make stock
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshy ground black pepper
  • a dash of nutmeg
  • 11/2 to 2 cups sour cream or heavy cream
  • Chopped chives
Preparation
Cook the potatoes in salted water to cover until just tender. Melt the butter in a skillet and cook the leeks gently, tossing them lightly, for a few minutes. Add the chicken bouillon and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer the leeks until tender. Add the potatoes to the leeks and the broth and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Put this mixture in the blender (you will need to blend it in two lots) and blend for 1 minute, or until smooth. Chill. When ready to serve, mix in sour cream or heavy cream. Garnish with chopped chives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment