Saturday, September 18, 2010

Why Guns?

Anyone who reads this blog or my Facebook posts knows I am a left wing guy. But I'm also a left wing guy with a lot of weapons. What's up with that?

There are politicians on the left who would restrict my right to own weapons - so-called "assault" weapons, and pistols. Never mind explosives, claymores, det cord, edged weapons, on and on. I think the issue is more about what one intends to do with one's weapons, rather than what the weapon is.

I own firearms and other weapons because they are cheap insurance. I don't care too much about constitutional arguments on this issue. To me, it's a pragmatic argument. I want the right to own firearms, and I want law-abiding citizens to own them.

Suppose some people invade my home. They will likely fail to kill me and my family, because they will be shot as soon as they break in if they have weapons and approach within 21 feet. Other terrible fates might befall them if we don't shoot them. Yeah, they might shoot us first, but I think we'll win on the defense with our plan.  If we are asleep, they'll be shot a little less quickly, as soon as we wake up from the racket. We keep our tactical weapons close at hand and deployable in seconds. It's easy to do this. Unexpectedly to me,  the most likely event is that no one get's hurt. Home invaders almost always just flee once they realize they have happened on to dangerous target.

So it's just defense of life and limb for me. On the other side, here's why we ought not own firearms in the United States:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/16/sharron-angle-floated-2nd_n_614003.html

Tea party idiocy.
It's a conundrum.

I swore an oath to defend the constitution when I joined the military. I took it seriously. Now, people running for the Senate are advocating the violent overthrow of the United States government.

Whats up with that?

1 comment:

  1. The closer to November we get, the more depressed I get. I don't know what people (and there are a lot of them) see in this woman that they're willing to vote for her over Reid. It makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete