Monday, March 01, 2010

Gimme Shelter

I've been working hard on fish and habitat stuff, so I'm not blogging as much as I would like. I  started the Top 100 Albums idea, and I'm too busy to keep it up right now (but I eventually will).

So while I get my new job going, I'll try a less ambitious series:

Good songs and why I think they are.

A big thank you to Neil Guintoli for the inspiration.

First off, Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones.

Forget about whether you want to hear a Gibson Les Paul being played in this song or a Gibson ES (I want the ES, give me later versions with Keith playing lead in a brilliantly restrained bit of guitar work. I like this one with Lisa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0J3XCGeIIU&feature=related).

Think if you had never heard a Rolling Stones song ever in your life and someone played this for you and said "This is rock music". They'd be right, and you could easily make the argument that Gimme Shelter is definitive.

My top 1 rock and roll song is Gimme Shelter.

And Lisa Fisher gets my vote for most arguably important female rocker.

Three brilliant chords, but the lyrics are equally cool and cogent:

Oh, a storm is threat'ning
My very life today.
If I don't get some shelter
Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away.


War, children, it's just a shot away

Later:

War, children, it's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
I tell you love, sister, it's just a kiss away
It's just a kiss away

And there we go, in a moment, from war to love, from strife to heroin, and it's the same thing - it's sister morpheine, and being addicted, and war, all at once.

Mind your addictions, people. It's just a kiss away.

My top 1 rock and roll song.

No comments:

Post a Comment