Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Range Time, 21 Feet


The Glock, the Umarex and extra rounds. There are bunches more weapons, ammunition and measures here, but that's what's next to me right now.

Defending our house against people who might break into it and hurt or kill us, and against crickets, are things we do. Home invasions are way up in the US. Defense is simple, but I don't want to engage in that defense - I'd rather we could just withdraw, and that's the plan. But if we're trapped and can't leave the house to the invaders, my strategy is to be armed and use all the advantages we have - surprise, subterfuge, weapons, and ruthlessness. 

Cricket invasions are up too.

If someone breaks down the front door and we can get out of the house before they get in, they are welcome to it - we'll be outside calling the police. With our guns. You want the TV? Take it. You want to come out into the back yard and try to harm us? Don't get within 21 feet.

The FBI did a study on attackers with edged weapons going after defenders with pistols, and they concluded that if an attacker gets within 21 feet of you, you can't draw and fire a pistol before they get you with the knife. This will be important if we do have to shoot someone. If they are within the 21 foot range, it's reasonable to defend oneself. Outside of that, not.


I had a discouraging moment the other day, shooting a camelback cricket that was in the house with the pellet gun. Ugh. We get one a day now, and I hope the house sells soon. They are one inch long targets that I shoot at from 5 to 10 feet. At 21 feet, they would be 4 inch targets. That's pretty small, so I don't feel too bad about taking 9 shots at one the other day before I killed it. Got one tonight at 8 feet with 2 shots, and it was a small one, so all is not lost. I can still shoot if I concentrate.

A human at twenty one feet is about 6 feet tall and 2 feet wide, and I can shoot a target that size and at that range very quickly and accurately. It's actually the only thing I am good at with the Glock - double tapping human sized targets at 21 feet. 

But taking 9 tries to get that cricket (sure, he was jumping and evading) means I'm going to start going to the range with the Glock more regularly - the cricket just pissed me off, but I need to be sure about hitting that human invader.

2 comments:

  1. I must not have been reading your blog when you posted about the Camelback Cricket, or I would have had a thing or two to stay about that. I was cleaning out a downstairs closet in April, and I found a mold spot in the back corner - about the size of a football. To make a long story shorter, behind that wall was a pipe to an outside spigot. At one point, the pipe leaked, and a former homeowner "fixed" it with epoxy, and closed the wall up. That must have held for a bit, but then a slow leak developed undetected. It rotted out a section of framing on the outside wall of the house, leaving room for the crickets to get in. They love the dark and the moisture, and a cavity between two studs became their cave (thus their other name - cave cricket). When I cut a hole in that wall to investigate, there was about two to three inches of cricket shit (see pic here). I ended up catching about three dozen crickets in there. I have a lot of success with glue traps that are made for mice. They're shiny, and look like water, and it attracts them. I know the gun is more fun, but I also have luck attacking from above. When I come after them from the side, they jump. If I drop a shoe directly on top of them, they don't seem to be able to sense that, and I get them. Thus the element of surprise that you spoke of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! What a mess.

    I've had sucess from above as well. I have a metal clipboard that I used to drop on them. Now I just bang away with the pellet gun.

    I'm going to try the sticky mouse traps too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete