Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Self Defense

I open carry my Glock 26 9mm pistol most of the time I am at home. I sometimes conceal carry it with the 10 round magazine, depending on the circumstance, but it's a little slower to get it up and ready to shoot that way. The Serpa retention holster is the best way I've found to keep the weapon ready.

Serpa Retention Holster with the Glock 26. This picture shows the G19 15 round magazine with the A&G extender, a 5 round increase over the stock 10 round G26 magazine. Carrying like this, there's no advantage to giving up the extra 5 rounds.

What I love about this holster is that it works well in a forward position, and also in the FBI kidney position. The big thing about the Serpa is that it enforces trigger finger discipline. To draw the weapon, you have to depress the release and when you unholster the weapon, your trigger finger is ALWAYS where it belongs, off the trigger.

Drawing from the Serpa. See the trigger finger extended and off the trigger.

Trigger finger exactly where it belongs until I decide to shoot.

The whole point with these equipment choices for me is to maximize safety and effectiveness. I need to be able to use the Glock easily and safely when I need it, and this Serpa holster helps a lot with that.



3 comments:

  1. Jim L2:55 PM

    Hey Bob,

    Jim here. 9mm is a pretty wimpy round but any round will do the job if your shooting skills are honed and you've trained yourself to respond/react using muscle memory.

    If you've never fired a .40 chambered pistol you should try one out. It is, in my view, the best compromise round. It has the stopping power of a .45 but none of the handling issues. You won't kill your wrists plinking with a .40. With a .40 you won't have to worry about putting a few 9mm rounds into a desperate, possibly PCP tripping, aggressor to no effect.

    That's my 2 cents. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shot the .40 and found it's recoil too sporty. My tactic is quick double taps until the aggressor is down. I can do that most quickly with a 9mm. The .40 slowed me down a lot. Also shot the .45 which is an easy round to shoot, but I can't get a lot of rounds in a subcompact.

    I can carry 17 rounds in a subcompact pistol with the Glock 26 in 9mm on my hip, or 10 rounds and have a pocketable pistol. Sometimes, I want to have it in my pocket rather than in the Serpa. Or 15 rounds in the G19 mag (my favorite mode pictured in this post) and still have a well balanced weapon (17 is a bit much for the G26). So I have a lot versatility with this tiny Glock. More rounds mean more chances to hit the target. With good hollow points, the round is lethal.

    I want to add a carbine to the mix, and the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 that I am leaning toward accepts all Glock 9mm magazines, specifically the 30 round mag. So, all the mags will fit all the guns - the G26 will take the 30 round magazine. This is an advantage in the heat of the moment in the dark. Plus there's more hitting power from the carbine.

    The red headed stepchild will be a .357 revolver, or maybe the Taurus Judge.

    Last, ammunition is heavy, and 9mm is lighter than .40 or .45. You never know when you might have to take a long walk. That's another reason I like the Kel-Tec Sub 2000, it's small, light, and folds in half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New tactic. No more practicing double taps. The new method for dealing with one intruder is to unload the entire magazine. Testing at the range proves that I have will get more rounds on target in a shorter time that I will with carefully aimed double taps. Sure, I still aim, but blazing away works better. Facilitates magazine swaps too.

    ReplyDelete