Monday, June 22, 2009

Food for Miles

Working at home, I can watch TV sometimes, and for a while I watched Mario Batali mid-morning. He showed us all kinds of simple, regional Italian food, and taught that Italian food is all about the ingredients and nothing about technique. That's good news for me, because I am not interested in a brunoise no matter how much I like Julia Child (I do, a lot). I'm fast with a chef's knife, with rustic results.

Here's one my son Miles likes.

Campanelle with Sausage Ragu

large yellow onion
olive oil
white wine
tomato paste
sweet italian sausage
fresh parsley
campenelle, 1 lb
milk, 2 cups
parmesano-reggiano cheese

Slice the onion. Season with salt and pepper. Saute over low heat in some olive oil until it is dark and has the consistancey of marmelade.

Reserve onion.

Remove sausage from casings and saute until well browned. Add reserved onion. Add 2 cups white wine. Reduce wine until it's nearly gone.

Add 1 teaspoon tomato paste and saute until cooked.

Add a cup or two of milk. Reduce, while grating in as much of the parmesano-reggiano as seems reasonable until it is a nice ragu.

Season with salt and pepper now.

Add the properly cooked campanelle to the ragu, mix it up, and serve. Grate more parmesano-reggiano over each plate and sprinkle some chopped parsley on as well.

It's simple and really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment